Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Don't let the Perfect get in the way of the Good

I entered into this challenge with all good intentions but without decent prior planning you may as well forget it. I was doing ok until both R and W came down with a rockin' case of diahrrea and required the BRAT Diet. That's Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Tapioca pudding. The only ingredient that I can source locally is apples and I don't even know what tapioca is, let alone where it comes from! I had to rely on what I had in the pantry (not much) and what I could procure quickly (not much). So since I failed miserably this weekend, I'm planning on not letting the perfect get in the way of the good. What I mean is - I'm pressing on and trying to get more and more local with every meal. Tonight I think will be an organically raised roasted chicken (not local), organic rice (not local) and salad (local and organic). What I've found, is that many locally produced foods are not organic while you can buy organically raised bananas from Costa Rica. Because I have to feed two children, ages 4 and 1, I am stuck trying to figure out what is better: Feeding them locally grown foods, or organic foods?

No comments: